McDonald's has for years been associated with some of the best ad slogans/catch-phrases, in our modern times. Some have endured for years, and others have faded. Over the years, their competitors have tried to do the same, but none have been as successful at delivering a memorable line than McDonald's. Below is probably their 10 most effective ad slogans.
- You Deserve a Break Today
- I'm Lovin' It
- Did Somebody Say McDonald's
- We Love to See You Smile
- Have you had your break today
- It's a good time for the great taste of McDonald's
- What you want is what you get
- We do it all for you - a.k.a - You, you're the one
- Look for the Golden Arches
- The Closest Thing to Home
In the Mid 1970s: Two All-Beef Patties...was a very popular ad campaign, and it has since become synonymous with the 70's.
How fast can you say...
“Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun.”
What was groovy then, may seem goofy now, but it was a craze that lives on...baby!
This most unusual ad first appeared in 1974. It became a phrase that everyone would try to
say. Mimicking the television commercial, with this run-on of words became a popular thing to
repeat. The real fun was in, who could say it faster and better than someone else. Admit it,
even you've probably tried to do it yourself-huh?
McDonald's is a well know international phenomenon, and many cities in many places of the world pride themselves as being modern, developed, and up-to date because of their presence. Most of the American ad slogans/campaigns are rolled out the same everywhere, but there may be some slight differences in some places. This short article focuses on the US ads that have been the most successful.
Listed below are most of the ad slogans that McDonald's has used over the past 50 yrs. In the United States. Some were not successful, and most were fairly forgettable, but there were some that were really effective, and some we'll never forget.
- Lets eat out!(1960–1965)
- Look for the Golden Arches! (1960–1967)
- Go for the Goodness at McDonald's (1962–1969)
- The closest thing to home (1966–1969)
- McDonald's is your kind of place (1967 – January 22, 1971)
- You deserve a break today (January 23, 1971 – April 23, 1975)
- Enjoy the best food at McDonald's (1973, concurrent with 1971 slogan)
- McDonald's Sure is Good to Have Around (1974, concurrent with 1971 slogan)
- We do it all for you (also known as You, you're the one) (April 24, 1975 – May 6, 1979)
- Nobody can do it like McDonald's can (May 7, 1979 – January 19, 1983)
- Nobody can say good night like McDonald's can (1979)
- You deserve a break today (August 21, 1981 – January 19, 1983)
- Nobody makes your day like McDonald's can (1980 – January 19, 1983)
- That's My McDonald's (1981, concurrent with 1980 slogans)
- We cook it all for you at McDonald's (1982, concurrent with 1980 slogans)
- McDonald's and you (January 20, 1983 – April 15, 1984)
- It's a good time for the great taste of McDonald's (April 16, 1984 – April 10, 1988, this slogan was used on newspapers from April 16, 1984 until March 6, 1990 and in November 1993)
- 30 years of good times and great taste (1985, 30th anniversary)
- It's Mac Tonight (1985, Mac Tonight advertising)
- McDonald's is your place to be (1986, also used by NBC between 1990 and 1992 as NBC is the place to be)
- The good time, great taste of McDonald's (April 11, 1988 – March 6, 1990)
- You Deserve A Break Today (1989–1990, concurrent with 1988 slogan)
- Food, folks and fun (February 1990, March 7, 1990 – March 18, 1991)
- McDonald's Today (March 19, 1991 – March 16, 1992)
- What you want is what you get (March 17, 1992 – October 15, 1997)
- What you want is what you get at RocDonald's today (1994, The Flintstones promotion)
- McDonald's, where what you want is what you get (1994, Sonic the Hedgehog promotion)
- What you want is what you get, delivered from McDonald's today (1994, McDelivery trial)
- Do you believe in magic? (March 17, 1992 – October 15, 1997, Ronald McDonald and Happy Meal McDonald's ads)
- Have you had your break today? (February 17, 1995 – February 18, 1997)
- One Two Three Four... Big Mac burger! (1997)
- My McDonald's (February 19 – October 1, 1997)
- Did somebody say McDonald's? (October 2, 1997 – June 29, 2000)
- We love to see you smile (June 30, 2000 – September 28, 2003)
- Put a Smile On (June 30, 2000 – September 28, 2003)
- Smile (2001 – September 28, 2003)
- I'm lovin' it (September 29, 2003–present)
- It's what I eat and what I do (2005, combined with 2003 slogan to make It's what I eat and what I do...I'm lovin' it)
- What we're made of (2008–present)
- Gimme Back that Filet-O-Fish (2009–present, Filet-O-Fish advertising)
- You want it, need it, you gotta have a taste of McDonald's burgers (December 1, 2010 – present, Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Angus Burger advertising)
- The simple joy of McDonald's (2010–2013)
- A whole new way to love McDonald's (2013–present)
- There's something for everyone to love at McDonald's (2013–present)
- Choose Lovin (2015-present)
Did I miss any that you remember? Do you remember any of these? Which one was your favorite? Share your ideas and thoughts in the comments below.
Oh yea, I did forget one...and I sure wish the would bring this one back!
Real Good, and Still Only 15 Cents