Monday, August 29, 2016

It Doesn't Have to Make Sense - Reviewed - 3 Stars

It Doesn't Have to Make Sense is the seventh studio album from Ingrid Michaelson.

The new album's title comes from an idea that perfectly encapsulates the selection of 10 new songs offered.
"The name came from something I learned recently. I kept trying to make sense of the ups and downs in my life. And I couldn't. Whenever I let go, I felt better. I love the concept of NOT trying to define and quantify everything. It doesn't have to make sense!.” - Ingrid Michaelson
Of the 10 songs on the new album she said, "It was difficult but I think I chose the right 10. The songs reflect all the different spaces my head and heart have been in the last 2 years."

This is why fans like albums, artists share of themselves their experiences from a period of time between albums. It's like being on a journey together. Many other artists make new music that is less personal and more collaborative with other song writers and producers etc. While this often turns out well, it's not as bravely unique as what you'll find here.

Allowing myself to not try to make everything make sense was freeing for me.” - “Life doesn’t always make sense.” - This was me was finding my way out of the darkness, and asking, ‘where do I go from here?'” - “It’s been a struggle to become fulfilled again, and I had to put that sorrow into something.”  - Ingrid Michaelson

The overall here is that this new album is a little shorter than most other offerings today, however the songs are all very good. The sound is contemporary and all of the songs are arranged well. The production is top-notch and the mixing of the musical layers is exceptional.

Best tracks are, Light Me Up, Whole Lot of Heart, Miss America, Hell No, Still The One, and Celebrate.

Big thumbs up here, all of Ingrid's fans will be delighted with this new album.

Rate this 3 Stars

It Doesn't Have to Make Sense – Track List

1. Light Me Up
2. Whole Lot of Heart
3. Miss America
4. Another Life
5. I Remember Her
6. Drink You Gone
7. Hell No
8. Still the One
9. Celebrate

10. Old Days

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make your visit count and drop me a line.