The Gorge of Cuyahoga Falls
Long ago, in 1759, a 12 year old Mary Campbell was taken in Pennsylvania, by Delaware Indians and brought to the present-day Gorge Metro Park, where she lived as a child of Chief Netawatwees.
Mary Campbell, became the first white child in what was then the wild frontier of the Western Reserve. She later settled with the tribe in a village along the banks of the Cuyahoga River, not far from the cave. She was eventually released in 1764 after a treaty ended the French and Indian War.
Thousands of years prior, the Gorge was formed when glacial debris blocked the route of the Cuyahoga River, and caused the river to find a new course. Today, the water flows over a shale riverbed, between ledges made of Sharon conglomerate sandstone. Oak, black-gum, tulip and yellow birch trees are very common in the woods that covering the valley walls.
This 155-acre Metro Park was made possible in 1930, when the Northern Ohio Traction & Light Company donated the land to Metro Parks.
Summit County Metroparks – The Gorge
1160 Front St Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223